26 April 2013

Decision Collision

No matter where life leads us, to the good... or the not so good, life always gives us decisions to make. Some of the decisions we make are important and some just don't really matter at all, these decisions I like to call "daily"decisions, as they are often the decisions we unconsciously make everyday.
Daily decisions: What to wear? - Whether to get a glass or drink out of the carton?
Important decisions: What job to take? - Whether to watch a building burn or calling the fire department?
Though I may have put a slight comical spin on these examples, decision making has never been a "funny" topic for me. Much more of a hated chore or in some cases an absolute ball busting, stress enabling and sleep depriving event. At one stage in my life, even just having to choose where my friends and I would eat for lunch, was a stress-coaster for me. So last year when I had to decide whether to continue living in Christchurch or to start a new life in Auckland, it was fair to say I was not in "my happy, stress free place." This was a hard, but very important decision I had to make.

Looking back now, the decision I made to move to Auckland wasn't actually a hard decision to make. I knew it was what I needed to do and where I was being called to go in life. It was executing the decision that was the hard part. Firstly I had the tough job of having to break the news to everyone in Christchurch. Then after their dismay and disagreement with my choice, still choosing to stick with my original decision and continue to plan my move to Auckland, despite knowing I was disappointing/hurting people I loved and sacrificing so much as well.

The sacrifice of leaving my family, friends, church and job. Leaving the place where I had lived my entire life, where all my memories were made, the place that was familiar to me, the place that was comfortable to me. Knowing I would have to find a place to live, get a new job, find a new church and make new friends... and there was no guarantee that I would actually get and find all of this. So in my eyes I was risking possibly becoming a bum, who lived on the streets, had no money and had no friends. (Possibly a slightly dramatic outcome to think of).

Seven months on from my decision to move to Auckland, I have an amazing church I'm apart of, I am at a job that I maybe just slightly addicted to, I have a flat less than 5 years old, located centrally to church and my work. I live with great flatmates, who have also become my friends and as far as friends go in Auckland, I have more friends than I thought I would have after living a half a decade in a new city! So the initial sacrifice of leaving Christchurch isn't such a big list now. Now it's just discovering how these new friends will fit into the scheme of my life and allowing myself to create close, meaningful friendships.

"People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime."

No comments:

Post a Comment